About the Teacher
Friday mornings is taught by Katherine Brown, a Senior Kadampa Buddhist Teacher at AKBC and guides the meditation. Each class includes a short teaching and two guided meditations. Everyone is welcome.
Clear & Joyful Meditation
FRI | 9-10AM
Sep 25 — Awakening our full potential
Oct 2 — Carpe Diem!
Oct 9 — If not now, when?
Oct 16 — Where to turn?
Oct 23 — Putting yourself in the driver’s seat
Meeting in person, please see protocols for attending below.
Responding to Life’s Challenges
Suffering comes in varying degrees from discomfort to debilitating pain stemming from the challenges of a small inconvenience to devastating news. Perhaps we feel like life has been beaten out of us due to the various challenges we have encountered and continue to face. Perhaps, we feel dis-empowered with sorrow and broken dreams for ourself and others more than ever.
In this series, we are going to challenge our perspective to suffering and come to understand a powerful response to life’s challenges based on the ancient wisdom of Buddha’s teachings. Buddha taught that every living being doesn’t want to encounter problems or pain, but because we do not understand the underlying causes of our suffering, we perpetuate the vicious cycle. We know if we always think the way we have always thought, we will always feel the way we felt and we want different outcomes for ourself and our communities
Through understanding the true causes of our suffering, we can respond with compassion and wisdom to the unceasing tides of our own and other’s suffering. We can take these teachings to whatever level we wish, but ultimately we can train to liberate ourself permanently from problems and pain. Ultimately, we can fulfill our deepest wish to be happy through the precious mind of enlightenment.
Books for this series: Eight Steps to Happiness and How to Solve Our Human Problems
You do not need to be Buddhist to take part and benefit. No previous experience necessary — everyone is welcome!
Join Enews and stay informed about upcoming classes, retreats, and special events.
Guidelines for attending in-person classes offered by AKBC at the Wellness Center in Little Compton, RI.
Classes will be offered outdoors only, weather permitting. An update on our website will communicate whether a class is cancelled due to weather or to prevent illness.
1. Please stay home if you have tested positive for COVID-19, are showing COVID-19 symptoms, or had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
2. Please follow hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette: wash or sanitize your hands before and after the class; cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
3. Please refrain from hugging, shaking hands or other forms of physical contact with each other.
4. Always wear a face mask when on the premises of the Wellness Center.
5. Indoor restrooms are available, but the public is advised to avoid going inside as much as possible.
6. Chairs will be placed 6 feet apart and we ask that you do not move the chairs or sit close to others, even if you live in the same house; this will help everyone maintain social distancing.